Showtime is exploring the lifetime of comedy legend John Belushi in a brand-new documentary airing Nov. 22. Here are 5 key issues to know concerning the late ‘SNL’ star who died far too quickly.
The new documentary Belushi will premiere Nov. 22. at 9 p.m. on Showtime. Director R.J. Cutler will peel again the layers of the late John Belushi, a beloved comedy icon. Family and mates will share reminiscences about John within the documentary, together with Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, Lorne Michaels, and extra. So, who’s John Belushi? is getting you all caught up earlier than the doc.
1. John was one of many authentic Saturday Night Live forged members. John kicked off Saturday Night Live in 1975 alongside 8 different comedians who have been dubbed “The Not Ready for Primetime Players.” Those names included Dan, Chevy, Gilda Radner, and extra. John rapidly grew to become one of many present’s breakout stars. His most well-known characters have been Samurai Futaba, a killer bee, and extra. He was a forged member from 1975 to 1979.
2. John tragically died at 33 from a drug overdose. The comic was discovered useless in his bungalow on the Chateau Marmont on March 5, 1982. The night time earlier than, he had been partying and actors Robin Williams and Robert De Niro had reportedly visited him. The explanation for John’s demise was an overdose of cocaine and heroin, often known as a speedball. Cathy Smith, the girl who equipped John with the medication, spent 15 months in jail after pleading responsible to involuntary manslaughter and a number of other drug prices in connection along with his demise. John was survived by his spouse, Judith. They had no kids.
3. He was finest mates with Dan Akyroyd. John and Dan grew to become quick mates throughout their tenure on Saturday Night Live. Their skit collectively, the Blues Brothers, grew to become such successful that it spawned a film. The Blues Brothers was launched in 1980 and has reached cult movie standing. John and Dan have been alleged to current the Oscar for Best Visual Effects in 1982, however John died simply weeks earlier than the ceremony. When Dan offered the award, he stated this about John: “My partner would have loved to have been here tonight to present this award, since he was a bit of a visual effect himself.”
4. He starred in plenty of hit films earlier than his demise. In addition to The Blues Brothers, John’s largest movie was the 1978 film National Lampoon’s Animal House, which is acknowledged as probably the greatest comedies of all-time. John additionally starred in films like 1941 and Neighbors earlier than his demise.
5. John’s brother is a well-known actor. John’s youthful brother is Jim Belushi, a well-known actor and comic. Jim was an SNL forged member from 1983 to 1985. He’s finest identified for his function within the sitcom According to Jim.